With less than five weeks to go until New Zealand Cup and Show Week 2016 kicks off, we’ve listed 10 reasons why you should love it as much as we do.
Of course, us SHOW PONIES are one-eyed Cantabrians through and through so our views may be biased, but speak to our out-of-town friends who, once they’ve experienced the week once, keep coming back for more.
10 Reasons To Love NZ Cup & Show Week 2016
- It’s like Christmas, but for friends. It’s the one time of year when Cantabrians from near & far all return to their home town, only this time it’s not to exchange presents with family, but to clink glasses & catch up with old friends
- You won’t find a better or more glamorous location for a picnic than the Showgate Carpark at Riccarton Racecourse on New Zealand Cup Day
- You won’t feel out of place wearing a fascinator on course, like you might if you wore one to the supermarket
- You get to spend days up close to some of the most beautiful animals on earth (and we don’t just mean the racehorses…)
- It’s the one racing event in New Zealand where the whole region celebrates and it’s definitely our country’s Melbourne Cup Carnival equivalent
- You get to be your very own fashion police – you could spend an entire day at Addington or Riccarton and not get sick of checking out some of the best (and worst) raceday outfits
- One for the racing buffs… the races at New Zealand Cup Week tend to improve the horses that win them, with many going on to perform greater feats at later dates. Case in point – Te Akau Racing’s mighty steed, Xtravagant
- Champagne breakfast, anyone? Let’s face it, bacon definitely tastes better with bubbles and it would be rude not to partake in one or two over New Zealand Cup Week (just make sure you pace yourself & keep hydrated with water)
- It’s great for the local economy. Even if your horse doesn’t come in, at least Christchurch’s restaurants, hotels, fashion retailers, transport providers and entertainment venues will all be winning
- SHOW DAY… this week is such fun it’s even got its very own public holiday!
New Zealand Cup & Show Week 2016 runs from Saturday 5 – Saturday 12 November 2016 and includes six days of racing across the three codes (thoroughbred, standardbred, greyhound) including the time-honoured New Zealand Cup race for each, three days of the massive Canterbury A & P Show, two hotly-contested fashions in the field competitions and one public holiday (11th).
To find out more, visit our friends at www.nzcupandshow.co.nz OR if you’re in need of a raceday headpiece, check out our online store, contact us direct for a custom piece, or view our brand new SS16/17 range at Shopology in Christchurch’s Re:START Container Mall on Cashel Street.
Love the SHOW PONY Unicorns